The Black Star

A blog dedicated to the series of unfortunate events that always happen around me. Not so much unfortunate, more like funny.. but unfortunate sounds better.

Get Firefox!

Thursday, March 09, 2006

When idiocracy took over

So I'm glad to say that I slept through the whole night for the first time in five days. I'm quite happy about that; I feel rested for the first time in ages. How did I do it? I tired myself out enough so that I would fall sound asleep and nothing would wake me up. Since I'm sick (I think I'm sick... perhaps the best term is "not well") I just couldn't drink myself up, so I stayed awake until 3am watching some dodgy stuff, you know, to get myself tired. I succeeded. I entered the dream realm in less than 10 mins and the next thing I knew was that my throat was hurting... damn it. And the light is bothering me as well... wait, light? Hurray! I made it through the night!

Not much to tell about today... woke up late, went to my only lecture and then came to the Old Library to get some work done (which of course I didn't). However, I forgot to write yesterday that I spent a substancial amout of time working on my stupid PHP project. Ercole pointed out that it wasn't working, and when I checked it it indeed wasn't. But it had worked only hours before when I was testing it. I swear it was. So well, I spent the first 45 minutes or so trying to make it work again, but the code looked just fine--just how I had it before. It seemed as if I was cursed to fail this assignment. But then I decided to evaluate the error message, and what I got from it was that the HTTP stream wasn't opening. That meant that the URL I was specifying wasn't working. I checked my permissions and it was validated for external viewing. Hmmm. I did all kinds of things, even moved it to another folder yet it gave me the same error. And then I decided to post it on the URL bar and see what I got (yeah, the obvious choice) and it was non-existant (as I expected). Fuck me. I checked the right again and everything was fine. So while I'm starring at the screen, thinking of what's wrong I see a problem. The URL is missing something... something like my name! I specify the right file and the right folder, even the right server... but not the user! So it was looking for all that stuff in the main uni server and not in mine! What a tit I have been! I added "james.nicholson" to the middle of the URL, tried it, and my page was working once again. Idiot! Best way to throw away 50 minutes right before a deadline, right?

Now you can check it out as I'm sure it'll work. Again, it's not the most exciting page, but it's fucking hard to code. Really pisses me off how hard it is to code the simplest things. Anyway, knock yourselves out. Give it a try!

I happened to make pancakes this evening while watching the Boro match. I was virtually kicked off my seat so I decided I'd make myself something to eat. The only problem is, when I make pancakes I usually make a shitload of them. Last time I made... I forgot... around 15. So well, when the people of the flat see me go by with eggs and milk, they tell me I should make some pancakes. Hmm, it's almost as if they read my mind, so I confirm I'm going to make pancakes and they all shout for one.

So well, I make around five or six and eat them up, but then there's quite a few and I'm filled, so I decide I could do some charity. After all, it's been quite a while since the last time I did something good for anyone. So I cook the first one and ask who wants a pancake--and it turns out they all do (that would be 6 people). So I'm faced with the decision of who's first (well, second as Steve had already stolen a pancake earlier... but they didn't know that) and I decide I'm going to give it to the pretty lady that joined us for the footy match. They're all surprised, and then they all start bothering me about it. But hey, you would've done the same... pretty girl always comes first. Then she comes over to wash the plate, but I take it away from her and tell her that I'll take care of it (well, in reality I just wanted to recycle it, but I thought I'd make it seem as if though I was going to wash it) and well. Nick's washing something, and she puts her arms around him for some odd reason, and then Tom shouts out "why are you hugging Nick? It was Jimmy who made you food!" Much to my surprise she comes over and gives me a hug. Nice moment... good moment.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

and tiny beat me to it....

good job, james.

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home