The Black Star

A blog dedicated to the series of unfortunate events that always happen around me. Not so much unfortunate, more like funny.. but unfortunate sounds better.

Get Firefox!

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Victory at last!!!

So today is a day to saviour. Why? I've confronted my demons and I've come out victorious! I've finished the fucking bloody linux practical. I'm not joking, I did. I haven't been happier in a long time. A moment to treasure, so much that as soon as I'm done writing this entry I'm heading back to the flat to get pissed.

So here's the story of how it happened. I actually made my script work yesterday (there were four scripts to make, within other things... the scripts were the hardest of the lot, but there were loads and loads of questions... anyway, the point is that I was stuck on the third script, that's the one I'm talking about right now) but when the instructor checked it out this morning he told me that I had to change it as it was too simple... I'd practically get no credit for it (and there's why programs keep getting harder and harder every time, and why they keep on crashing... people just don't accept the simple things). So I get all pissed off (like really pissed off) and have a sort of arguement with the guy, telling him that my script does what its supposed to do and all, but the bottomline is that I had to change it if I wanted any credit for it. So I storm off after that, now having to do two whole scripts, even though one of them worked just fine.

So I'm sitting in my programming class (my proper programming class) and I'm just nodding along, I know this stuff, whatever, I just want to make my script work. It's a fucking simple thing, it just seems that in UNIX it is impossible to add numbers. Anyway, there comes a time when I snap back into reality, and that's when it comes. My professor utters the magical words--a ray of light comes in through the windows and splashes on my face--and once he said that I knew that I was in for a treat today.* I was so excited I almost hugged my mate who was sitting right next to me (we haven't known each other for too long, so it would've been very awkward... not to mention gay). So I rush home after that lecture (okay, walk home) and grap a sheet of paper and a pen and immediately write the code for the script. How? I thought of code in terms of what I know (what I'm being taught in my programming course... aka code I actually know) and then I just translated it to bourne shell (that shit the UNIX reads). In fact, I was so into it that I also wrote out the code for the final shell. All that took me no longer than two minutes.

So later on in the day (now) I came to the clusters and opened ran linux and then opened the editor, typed in the first code and much to my amusement it didn't run. I curse. I check it and notice that I left the increment part of the code out (pajuo), so I add it (or copy it from the sheet of paper) and then run it again. Runs like a charm! Then I type in the code for the fourth script, run it and it runs perfectly! I wish I would've seen my face...

In other news, today I went shopping for food (in between the time that I wrote the code and typed it up in the computer). I bought enough stuff to last me until Christmas. Smart move, eh? That way I don't have go shopping again for a while. My mate did the same. The problem was bringing it back. We made it, else I wouldn't be here, but we almost died while carrying all the shit from one side of the city centre to the other. And that's an understatement. I had three filled up bags in each hand and my backpack was filled with stuff (to be fair, there was only some sauce, Frosties and a 12 pack of beer... I know, I should've gotten the beer, but it was too cheap to let it go). We were so fucked, that when it started to rain halfway through our trip (we called it our crusade... we were "marching in the name of food and nutrition, through the pain, rain and... something else ending in 'ain'." We were too fucked to come up with another word ending in "ain", yes.

Now I'm off to celebrate the end of my torture. I'm downing the whole 12 pack of pints... damn, so much for lasting me until Christmas...

*Okay, so I might be exagerating a little bit... there was no ray of light, it was bloody clouded (surprised?)

Weather watch: not too bad... might've been cold, I'm not sure, I was sweating like a pig. Loved the rain.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm hiring you to design my defense plataforms.

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home