The Black Star

A blog dedicated to the series of unfortunate events that always happen around me. Not so much unfortunate, more like funny.. but unfortunate sounds better.

Get Firefox!

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Een dag met de Dutch

So today's been a good day. Why's that? I had the Dutch Guy. I can see that this is going to be by far my favourite class. Although it's starting to get a bit harder, I think the amusement will keep me well entertained.

First of all I'll start by saying that the most important lecture of all time (the one with the old guy telling us all about the history of computing) was very interesting... well worth the time. So the Dutch Guy was right on something. Guess what. He showed up to that lecture and sat with us to listen to Dr. Randall. (So you see, it was this week, not next week as he first thought).

So we're talking about a bit more of history during class, and then we come to this bloke, Kay. And the Dutch Guy tells us that he pioneered "opiate-oriented programming" and I'm like "eh? what? what the hell!?" and he keeps on saying it and I'm getting all confused (I don't think I was the only one) and then finally this slide comes up that says "object-oriented programming." For a minute there I thought that computers and drugs were more closely knit than I first thought... and that the technology for drugs was invented here in the UK and not in Colombia as I first thought...

So this Kay man, the Dutch Guy tells us he's very interesting. And he also told us that they used to be collegues back in the day when they both worked at the HP Labs. He then adds "... I knew him, but he didn't know me..." and we all just started laughing. So Dutch. But that's not it, when we come to his profile, he goes on to show us that he (Kay) did work at the HP Labs and then he says "so there it is, he worked at the HP Labs until... well, until he got fired" and then we started to laugh again. So bastard. You just had to be there.

We also talked about this technological advance (back in the 70's) that caused "the blood to go out of your hand"... dodgy, eh? Not as dodgy as before the lecture started when he started to fool around with the lights... and he seemed to enjoy himself. It wa like a little kid with... well, lights.

The Dutch Guy rocks, I can't wait until class tomorrow. Oh, and tomorrow he'll tell us more about the upcoming practical (the Linux practical that will take three weeks)... I wonder if he'll tell us "Linux is software... like Powerpoint..."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

being you i don't know if i would drop the course because of it being a joke or love it because of it being a joke...

1:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home