The Black Star

A blog dedicated to the series of unfortunate events that always happen around me. Not so much unfortunate, more like funny.. but unfortunate sounds better.

Get Firefox!

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Ramble On

First of all, a response to Tiny's comment from the previous entry: There's no more Mad Cow here, it's in Canada now, so if anybody's allucinating because of milk it's Rod. Now it's the bird flue, get with the times man.

Erc: Yep, you George, definitely. And so much work I put into the entry not to name names and you just go out and say it. Oh, well...

So pretty eventful day today, although not much really happened, but at the same time quite a bit did happen... yes, it's Jamestalk again.

I only had one lecture today, in the morning, which means, to all of you out there that make sense, I had the afternoon off. I decided to spend a chunk of the afternoon with James in order to teach him the ways of the music. We ended up going to different record shops and I'd comment on some albums and artists and all, and for the most part I think he was paying attention (or he was completely ignoring me in a way I couldn't tell... much in like the way I ignore everyone). In the end, I convinced him to buy Appetite for Destruction, as I believed that'd be a good intro to some hard rock (and who doesn't have Appetite!?) and I even ended up with a birthday present! How nice of him!

Anyway, before that when were were having lunch at the Union, there were these different people with little stands trying to persuade you to buy their stuff by giving you free stuff (you know those people). There was a stand giving free condoms, but James told me not to get any as he knew of a person back in his home county that was giving away condoms, but had opened little holes on them with a needle... you can tell he works for Pampers or some kid's company, can't you? Anyway, there was this "Free Body Fat Test in a Minute!" stand, and you could clearly tell that they'd try to persuade you to buy some dieting milkshake or something of the kind. So I tell James, I wonder what would happen if I get a body fat test... what could they possibly tell me? I'm pretty sure I've gone under average in body fat as of late (yes, I'm perhaps the only person that has lost weight whilst at uni.. and Oliver, one of my flatmates--we were talking about that yesterday). "Uhm, well... you can drink this and it'll help you gain some weight..." Me: "This says 'lose 10 kilos in 3 days'..." Seller: "Erm... don't read the label, it's rubbish..." In the end I didn't have time to try it out as I had to rush home to pick up my groceries that were being delivered... shame really.

Later on in the afternoon, James wanted to go into a game shop (conveniently called Game) just to browse, and I decided I'd do that for him as I had taken him around to virtually every record store in the Newcastle city centre against his will. We start a debate on which game is better, Footy Manager or World of Warcraft (his bloody addiction... and Ryan's as well) and I end up switching in favour or Age of Empires III just because it's in a higher chart position than Warcraft... and just as we're in the middle of the debate, this woman comes and grabs a copy of Age and takes it to the till. I give him a know-it-all smile and he gives me the mean eyes. Then he turns around and calls out to the woman "you picked the wrong one!" She doesn't turn around, probably thinking that he was yelling at me, but it was well funny. I would've liked to see her reaction had she connected the points.

On our way back, we get flooded with flyers that lifeless people are handing out. We do our best to avoid them, but as soon as we turn to go right into the uni there's an inevitable one. James pickes up one because he's too nice to refuse, but I brush it off and just move on. He doesn't even take a quick look at it when he tells me "this is going straight to the bin." As we approach the nearest bin, he can't throw it away because the bin has been overflooded with the same flyer...

Moving on the the evening, I go out with the lads (that's Ryan and Steve) to watch the Chelski match and then to play some pool. Nothing to remarkable happens during that time, just same old same old... with the exception of some moments when we pick on Steve for his need to carry his passport with him as a form of ID and stuff like that. When we're on our way back, though, we're walking past this part of the uni where they're reconstructing part of the walkway, and Ryan tells Steve that he bets he can throw Steve into the ditch. Steve's not the lightest of all people, if you get my drift, so Steve laughs it off. So Ryan just reaches for him and starts to lift him up, but once he reaches a certain height he just can't, so he drops him and tries again. At about the third try, they both fall into the warning signs around the construction. Steve's clearly pissed off at this point, but he keeps his cool by saying it's his turn. So he starts trying to grab a hold of Ryan to push him over but Ryan's trying to run away, so they pretty much start a fight. Meanwhile I'm trying to calm the guys down, but I don't want to get in the middle of it because I don't want to be the one getting thrown into the ditch, so I just try to calm them down verbally. Seeing that they're about to start a proper fight, I just get in the middle and say "come on, lads, break it up, we all know here that I'm the only one that can thrown anyone in there, so quit fooling around. Plus, if you go any further they'll be looking for you guys tomorrow" (my latter remark meaning that if they start a fight they'll be caught on the CCTV and they'll be in trouble). So they get up and start walking again... and it's not even been a minute when they start taking the piss out of each other again. Incredible.

After that we just spent the rest of the night eating takeaway and waching Seinfeld. Oh! I got my first comparison to Kramer! Oh, and a documentary on sex tapes...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm surprised you weren't thrown into the ditch...

and hey, dude... you should've done it anyway. you had my blessings. and fuck, i'm italian, that means a lot

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home