The Black Star

A blog dedicated to the series of unfortunate events that always happen around me. Not so much unfortunate, more like funny.. but unfortunate sounds better.

Get Firefox!

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Ideas

So yesterday I got inspected twice in the Metro. And both times there were at least two people who got caught without a ticket. That just confirmed what I always knew: it's more profitable to have random inspections than to have a proper ticket-eating system.

For you bastards who don't live in Newcastle, our Metro (haha, "our") works by the honour system... sort of. You can board a Metro wagon without a ticket (as there are no ticket-eating machines beforehand impeding your entry). However, from time to time there'll be inspectors around to check your ticket, and if you don't have a valid ticket (or if you don't have a ticket at all) then you will be fined 20 quid.

So yes, what I was getting at is that if they catch two people without tickets during each inspection (and you can assume that there will be at least 2 per day) then they're probably making more money than if everyone was to buy a ticket. Look at it this way: most of the elderly people have their passes, a lot of the students have their passes and those people who commute to work every morning at 8:30 in the bloody morning have their passes. So the only people that will get caught are those one-off users... and they get charged the fare of at least 6 tickets. Good stuff.

In other thoughts, I just came up with a brilliant idea. Newcastle is perhaps the city with the most flyers per square inch. Annoying as hell, it is. And I bet I'm not the only one who's sick of rejecting flyers or taking them and then throwing them away in the nearest rubbish bin. So I was walking through Northumberland Street with a cara de caƱon (to avoid the flyers... works occasionally) and I figured I could put a sign on my cap that says "unless you're handing out cash, bugger off". Sounds like a great idea to me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home