The Black Star

A blog dedicated to the series of unfortunate events that always happen around me. Not so much unfortunate, more like funny.. but unfortunate sounds better.

Get Firefox!

Monday, January 30, 2006

Photographic Memory

So today I had lectures for the first time in a while. Not only that, but I had new professors and new locations, so it was like starting uni all over again (only that this time around I knew people... so not quite the same).

I no longer have The Dutch Guy, but instead I have this other guy who seems he can do the job a bit better. Not only does he dislike Windows (he's gonna teach everything in linux, no Windows) but he also detests Internet Explorer. You can tell this guy knows his stuff. At first look, I was skeptical about the guy, he looked more like a crazy bloke than a professor, but when one of my mates told me had studied and taught in both Harvard and Oxford, I decided to open my mind.

I can't say I learnt many new things, but it was only the first lecture. The module has potential, though... we can achieve great things. For now we're focusing on websites, and building them and manipulating them via linux (and changing the write access and all that stuff on the prompt)... if you've got a chance check http://homepages.cs.ncl.ac.uk/james.nicholson .

My other module, which used to be the joke module, has now turned to screw us over. So much bloody work... and we not only have to take notes, but polish them and give them back in for a grade. Great, huh? Not to mention an essay every week. I guess my bumming days are over. Something quite funny happened during this lecture, though. I was busy writing down my notes when the professor says "That's a peculiar way to taking notes... does it work?" I assume that he's just there sitting not doing anything, but when I hear a few chuckles I decide to check it out. What was he doing? He was taking pictures of the slides... and I thought I was a bum.

Next up was my new programming class (well, next up as in 4 hours later). Now we'll get to do some neat stuff, but the lecture being the first "introductory" one and me not having slept for 26 hours at that point, I managed to doze off for quite a while (if I'm right, it must've been around 7 minutes... I'm not sure what the time was when I last saw it, but I'm making an educated guess). When I realized I was dreaming (because of surreal things taking place) I opened my eyes just to see the professor looking at me while she was explaining something (can't really tell you what it was, for obvious reasons). First day and I'm already screwed. I did doze off a few more times, but only seconds on those. I wonder if she caught me... While I was awake, though, I did hear the clicking of the camera, which only means that the answer to the question the previous professor had asked is "definitely."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice webpage, mate...

and get some sleep, please. don't do like me in lecture

5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home