The Black Star

A blog dedicated to the series of unfortunate events that always happen around me. Not so much unfortunate, more like funny.. but unfortunate sounds better.

Get Firefox!

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Drinking with the Greeks

So what could be possibly the most messed up thing to have happened in an educational environment? Surely I've experienced it, me and only me (and well, the couple of hundred people that were in the lecture).

So I'm sitting there, bored to death in my marketing lecture. We're talking about elasticity and inelasticity (things which I learnt in Economics... it was useful!) and then the professor grabs five students from the "audience" for a mini-experiment. So he goes ahead with it and all, and I'm semi-paying attention coz, well, I was thinking about other things. So there comes a time when he says "and price is important because it psychologically indicates quality to the consumer... take for example, vodka. If I said you could get a bottle for £15, would you get it? Would you please try it?" And then I wander off again... but I noticed that he actually has a bottle of vodka with him and that the ten people are actually drinking the vodka... so shocking! El colmo de los colmos. I wonder if for the next mini-experiment he'll ask us to try different sexual positions and tell him which one we like the best... having said that, I think I'll sit in the first from row from now on...

Anyway, yesterday I also went to the International Society social... and it was alright. I'm going to Edinburgh next weekend, so that should be nice. I hope I can go to the zoo and see the penguins!!! Anyway, after the social ended at 11 I got persuaded by one of the Greek guys to go to this "famous" club (famous because the Greeks and the Spaniards seem to be in there every freaking night) so well, what the hell. It tuns out that it's the Latin/Spanish club in Newcastle where they play all the music they play back in Venezuela. You won't believe how out of place I felt, ironically. However, after a while I got used to it and went with the flow... and it turns out that it was a really fun night out. Highlight? Singing Clavado en un Bar off the top of my lungs (Punta Cana!!!). We finally left when we were kicked out at 3am, and we headed to the "best kebab shop in Newcastle" and as it turns out it is very very good... but it might've been because 1.) I was starving and 2.) because it was free. Yep, free food in England. How? The Greeks have connections. So how's that, now I know powerful people here in Newcastle... not only a fun night, but also a productive one. I'm friends with the Greek Squad (aka Greek Mafia).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home