The Black Star

A blog dedicated to the series of unfortunate events that always happen around me. Not so much unfortunate, more like funny.. but unfortunate sounds better.

Get Firefox!

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Shattered Scottish Dreams

So today I visited Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland. That's right, I traveled a total of six exhausting hours to visit Scotland. But well, it was really good, so it was worth it.

The first thing I have to point out is that the Scottish accent isn't as hard to understand as I once thought. But then, once you've heard Irish, Scottish is just English. And another thing, I really like those accents on girls... now I'm really attracted to Scottish girls... bleeding hell!

Anyway, I started my journey to the Union at 7am. I see it's a decent degree outside, so I know I have to stuff as many things inbetween myself and the coat in order to survive in Edinburgh (which in average has around a three to four degree difference... less of course!). So I open my front door and start walking when I just start to slip. I almost broke my back, but I managed to stop myself, take a deep breath, and then see my surroundings. Turns out there was frost everywhere... the grass was semi-white (awesome!!) and the pathways were frozen. So yeah, first ever time I've seen frost, not first ever time I've almost broken my back, but I just made my way carefully to the Union (where the coaches were). Anyway, I meet up with the Greek squad, but I decide to just rest and enjoy the scenary whilst listening to music in the coach. To my surprise, all the fields were white... so freaking cool! The more we traveled north the whiter they got. Until there came a point where there was no more frost because it had melted down (don't ask how frost can melt at two degrees...). Everything looked so awesome, like the movies... it was the first time I felt like a tourist since my first week in Newcastle (and of course my visit to York). It's a nice feeling, very nice actually, and it was a good thing to experience it again.

Anyway, we got to stop at the border between England and Scotland. What it really is is a couple of rocks (okay, huge rocks) on either side of the road. One one side it says "Scotland" (indicating that once you pass those rocks you'll be in Scotland) and the other side it spells "England" (indicating that once you pass those rocks you'll be in England). So much for border protection, eh? It was nice though... and cold. There was this beautiful panorama of Scotland on one side, and the sun on the other (the English side). Don't know which one I'd choose... lol.

We finally arrive at Edinburgh, and the first thing we do is go to the Edinbugh Castle (yep, as tourists it's a must)... and we actually spent three hours in there! Apart from it being huge, there were four museums (three open) and lots of great views... plus we got to experience a traditional (wealthy) Scottish wedding! That was a bonus! I can also say that I learnt that not only is Newcastle overflooded with Greeks, but so is Edinburgh. Every five minutes the head of the Greek squad would hear someone speaking Greek and he'd stop and chat with them for a while. Seriously, I think I can understand Greek near to perfection now. After a guard presentation, he stopped to talk to these three Greek girls, and when he told them that I was the only Venezuelan in Newcastle and probably England (although I'm sure I'm not the only one in England as there are at least two people from CIC working in London and Manchester I let it go... for exclusivity's sake) one girl just jumped and started talking to me and "keeping me company" while the other Greeks talked. I have no clue what that was about. She kept holding me around the waist... I wonder if that's a Greek thing. And for Tiny: no, she wasn't particularily attractive.

So by the time we got out of the castle it was 3. We left at 5:45, which meant I didn't have enough time to fulfill one of my dreams. Plus, my camera broke (I'm gonna go riot on Monday... I can't be bothered going on a Sunday) so I couldn't go on my own. One of the Greek guys covered my back and took some pictures for me and he'll send them tomorrow... I'll email the best to some of my faithful readers. Anyway, if you're not Joseph and are wondering what this dream was, I was planning on going to the zoo and seeing penguins! But the ride to the zoo was around 45 mins (plus 45 more to come back) which gave me a very narrow timetable to work with... and if I didn't manage to make it back on time for some reason they would just leave me... which meant I'd have to stay the night in Edinburgh and then take a train in the morning (aka freeze to death, and if for some reason I made it I'd have to pay around £20 to get back). And also, I didn't have a way of taking pictures, so it wouldn't've been the experience I expected (no way to show you guys the penguins!). So yeah, I'm gutted about that, but the trip was well worth it. After the castle we spent around an hour looking for a place to eat (that wasn't full and that wasn't closing) and that's when I really started to miss my adopted city of Newcastle. That wouldn't have ever happened in Newcastle... damn capital poshes.

After eating we didn't have much time to go to any tours, so we just made our own. One of the Greek guys kept on trying kitls (the Scottish male skirts, if you don't know them) and we kept making fun of him. He wanted to buy one, but they were a tad expensive. For a one-off wear, they were around £70. And a proper kilt was worth around £190. Then there were the classy kilts at £870... as you can imagine, he ended up with no kilt.

That's pretty much all, I've left some details, but I can't be expected to remember everything. Oh, I've got to say this even if you guys already know: it was fucking freezing in Edinburgh. I mean, my toes were frozen, I guess I was lucky to come back with ten toes. And my hands... I had gloves on and I kept them in my coat's pocket... and they were still cold. My ears almost fell off. And one of the Greeks was trembling like hell. We were able to see our breaths from the time we arrived to the time we left... even when breathing gently through our noses. When I set foot in Newcastle again I almost got hot (almost...) and it felt as if I was down south (as in coast south). The wind was non-existant. Oh, how much I love Newcastle...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

JIMMY!! no penguins... :(

but oh well, at least you got an ugly chick to caress you. I'm glad you had a good time at the trip, and it's too bad that it's really cold there! I guess when I go to the states I'll be able to experience it, and it'll be weird because I won't be used to it at all, but all well.

Have a good time with your adventures, unadventures, and misadventures.

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you had an ugly chick trying to make love with you and you didn't pay her back?? how dare you?!

by the way, i cracked up so fucking hard when i read that.... ah, jimmie. just like the good old days.

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home