The Black Star

A blog dedicated to the series of unfortunate events that always happen around me. Not so much unfortunate, more like funny.. but unfortunate sounds better.

Get Firefox!

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Welcome back, entertainment!

So how do you know you're going to have a good day? When you look at your timetable and see that you've got a lecture with the Dutch Guy. That's right, he's back! Finally, after three weeks of wait, he's here to entertain us. And he started off very well.

The planned lecture on Tuesday was put off (as were all other lectures on Tuesday for the rest of November) because of unknown reasons. So he chose to tell us that via the NewsGroups. I personally don't read them, so I found out right before the lecture because a mate told me. So this morning the Dutch Guy asks "I hope you all read the NewsGroups... did anybody show up for the lecture on Tuesday?" and two people raise their hands. "Ahh, stupid" he says. LOL. So blunt.

So later on he's showing us the punch card system (well, a photograph of it, anyway) and he actually starts to get into the whole US elections of 2000 (things which only I knew, apparently...) but anyway, the point was that he was stressing that the punch card system was used in the 60's for batching computers (as interactive systems hadn't been invented yet) and then he says "this is an example of a punch card. Say of example, if you were buying... uhm... what did people buy in the 60's...?" and we all cracked up. He's making the people of the 60's look as if they're not human. A foolproof option for something like that would be food, or clothes; the essentials. Ah, Dutch Guy, we're all so glad you're back.

In other news, my Irish flatmate asked me yesterday where Venezuela was. When I told him it was in northern South America he asked if close to Mexico. I told him it was more or less around there, and then he asks the classic question: "So do you speak Mexican or Venezuelan there?" I didn't even have to say anything, the rest of my flatmates started to make fun of him for that stupidity. The worst part was that I don't think he was even drunk...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

motion to assasinate that irish bastard!

the only irish i look up to know are those who form part of u2... btw, i went to the u2 concert and it was great... and then bono came to campus for a little chit-chat, but i was busy defending vzla in yale..had i known, i would've thought of staying.. well, i did know. fuck.

1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home