The Black Star

A blog dedicated to the series of unfortunate events that always happen around me. Not so much unfortunate, more like funny.. but unfortunate sounds better.

Get Firefox!

Friday, November 11, 2005

Today is Friday

So today I went to a rugby match. That's right, a professional rugby match where the Newcastle Falcons played the London Irish.

The first thing I want to ask is: how the hell do those guys go out there and play with those ridiculously small shorts? We were all freezing in the stands (and by freezing I mean I couldn't move my fingers (I was holding a pint of beer and once I was done with it I couldn't restore the position on my fingers to normal) and the guys seemed to go about their business as if nothing. Okay, so I'll give it to you, playing does warm you up, but the wind was very strong (it really wasn't that cold, it was more the wind factor than anything else). Ahh, crazy bastards.

Anyway, Newcastle managed to lose 20-23. Out of the 20 points they scored, 15 were from Wilkinson (surprise surprise (and for all of you who don't know who it is (I guess that's all of you) he's the guy that won the World Cup for England in 2003 (with about 90% of the overall points they scored in the tournament... much like here!))). All in all it was a great experience, and it was only £10 so it was at a good price too. Now my next sporting event will be a match at St. James' Park... sometime before my three years here in Newcastle are up... hopefully.

In lectures today, though, it was really messed up. The Dutch Guy gave us a lecture on hardware (the only one he'd give us on hardware, he said. The reasoning? He chose it that way...). As it turns out, he chose it that way because he knows fuck all about hardware. The guy's a genius when it comes to software and algorithms, but when it comes to hardware the guy's useless. We figured out that that he had no clue what he was talking about when he displayed a photograph of a motherboard and pointed at the front side bus and told us that was the CPU. I was confused when he said that, but well, perhaps everything I ever knew was wrong. Then he pointed at the PCI ports and told us that those were the memory slots. That's where we kicked in and taught him a bit about the hardware of computers. "This is embarassing" he said at the end... damn right it was, but we enjoyed every second of it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

mocking professors???

that's pushing it, man

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home